How to Apply
Letter of Inquiry
To respect applicants’ time, the Foundation has a two-step application process. First, all interested applicants should submit a Letter of Inquiry (2-3 pages maximum, excluding supporting references) along with a current CV to the Foundation. The Letter of Inquiry should:
- Include a project title;
- Identify the issue(s) to be researched;
- Succinctly describe proposed methodology;
- Explain how the project complements existing work in the area (if any);
- Describe the potential usefulness to dogs and primary care veterinarians.
Note: Prior to funding, all applicants must have a current appointment at an academic institution or non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. If you believe you have a very promising research project but are not affiliated with either, please contact the Foundation to discuss your situation using the email address below.
These materials should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters of Inquiry will be reviewed within four weeks of receipt and applicants will be notified by email of the results of the review and whether they should submit a full application. If the Foundation requires additional information before rendering a decision, the applicant will be notified by email to schedule a telephone call with a Foundation program officer.
Full applications are by invitation only, following review and approval of the Letter of Inquiry. The full application should include:
- A detailed research plan with key milestones;
- A description of the proposed deliverable (e.g. videos, article, CE lab);
- A plan for communicating the results of the study, including the timeline leading to submission of the results for publication and/or presentation;
- A letter of support from the institution's senior administrative or academic officer (e.g. the dean of the institution);
- A description of any required institutional review and/or approval of the proposed research and a plan for securing that approval either prior to or within a reasonable period of commencing the Fellowship.
Please visit Resources for examples of previously funded applications.
Application should be sent electronically to email@example.com.